Maybe you are going to a party but you want to bring something but want something different than that normal dip you make. These pretzels are made using only a few ingredients, and will make everyone rave about your baking skills. They are even in little football shapes so it will fit in great with the decor. You could probably use them to toss around the house if you want of course.
Now on to making the pretzels for your party.
- Baking Sheet
- Baking Stone
- Stand or Hand Mixer
- Bread Flour - 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons
- Yeast - 3/4 teaspoon
- Malt Powder (if you have it this time I did not use it) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - 1 1/8 teaspoons
- Water - 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- Unsalted Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Egg White Glaze
- Mix together the flour, yeast, salt, and malt powder. With the mixer turned on low, pour in the water until all the flour is moistened. Add the butter, raise the speed to medium and knead for seven to ten minutes. The dough should form a smooth ball in about five minutes if not add more water. You will get a stiff dough that is slightly elastic.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured counter and shape into a ball. Let it rise, covered for 1 hour. It will not double just relax and spread out some.
- Divide the dough into twenty or so equal pieces. You can divide into any amount you need but don't get them too small. I made twenty.
- Cover the footballs with oiled plastic wrap and let sit for thirty minutes, just to rise a little bit. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400 F. Oven shelf at the lowest shelf with a baking stone and pan on the floor of the oven.
- Make two long, diagonal slashes in each roll. Whisk together 1 egg white and 1/2 teaspoon cold water. Brush each roll with the egg white twice. Then sprinkle the top with sea salt.
- Set the baking sheet on the hot baking stone immediately after putting the salt on the top of the pretzels. Toss 1/2 cup ice cubes in the pan on the bottom of the oven and close the oven door quickly. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, they should be deep golden brown.
- Remove the bread form the pan and let cool until warm. Serve and enjoy (also take in the praise you will get for your baking prowess.
Tell me how your football parties go and how the pretzels are received. Happy Baking!